Monday, December 21, 2009

I hate christmas.

When I was little, I used to love christmas...Before my parent's split up, we spent every year at Nana's house, but had supper at Granny's on Christmas Eve, that's the way it was. Then they split up and things stayed relatively similar, we stayed over at Dad's house on Christmas Eve, woke up extremely early, opened all of our presents, then we went to Granny's house for brunch, then went over to Nana's house and stayed there all day. It was simple and the routine never changed for 10 years. Til last year, Granny made a big fuss that our relatives from Canada and Scotland would be over, and we'd need to be there. So we just flipped it all around, Nana's for brunch, Granny's for lunch, and it sucked. Granny can't cook, my brother and I always end up in arguments with our cousins, our relatives all got super drunk and then I got locked in a broom cupboard for an hour. Seriously, not a great way to spend Christmas.

So this year, we decided we'd do something really different, and my Mum, brother, Dad and I, were all going to head down to Victor Harbor for a couple of days around Christmas time, that way, we wouldn't have to decide which house to go to. I was happy with that. I was happy that we would be spending Christmas as one big happy family like the good old days.

But no, someone had to go and ruin that as well. Now we're not going to Victor Harbor, and my Grandparents are fighting over which house we should spend lunch at. If we don't have lunch at Nana's, we won't see our little cousins, which would be tragic. If we don't go to Granny's, we don't see our cousin on his 16th birthday, which frankly, my brother and I really don't give a shit about. Nana has nicer food, our closer family are there, it's just a tradition to spend Christmas at Nana's.

I think I might just hide in my room all of Christmas Day, that sounds like fun.

1 comment:

  1. Voice your opinions, you'd be surprised how much attention parents pay to them, especially if they feel guilty for ruining your life.

    ReplyDelete